What happens when a much delayed shipment of 3D printed Goodies from Shapeways arrives. I go from not being able to advance any of the projects on my workbench, to shooting forward with a handful like it’s going out of style. It’s exciting to get things you’ve designed but never seen and don’t know if they worked until they arrive. Waiting is definitely the worst part of the 3D printing process with Shapeways to find out if your design worked as you planned and envisioned.
In this case, parts for three different projects, one ongoing (587 Yonge St), one new (detailed below), and one that I now know I can actually announce September 30th (Mystery Rail Car Project) all arrived in one big order. The biggest problem was the ever helpful people at UPS. Because my order was delayed, Shapeways upgrades the shipping, for Canadians, that means going from US Post to UPS Courier. This is good, as UPS is faster, but bad, as they are really hard to deal with. Little things, like for instance say, you get an email Tuesday morning saying you have to pay tax on the shipment, and then you go and pay it online. Then your package vanishes and doesn’t scan or show signs of existing for four days. After much chasing, it magically appears where you wanted it to go, the UPS store two blocks from your house.
It’s a mighty big box for the relatively small 3D printed parts inside, but was packed well and all arrived safe and sound.
When I picked up the package Saturday, I promptly opened it, checked everything was there and appeared good, and took off to go watch the Toronto Argonauts football game. Cleaning could wait till after the game, and doing anything else till Sunday.
When I got home from the game, all the parts were given a good but gentle clean in soap and water to remove any remaining support material from the FUD parts. Once clean, they were allowed to dry overnight so I could prime them on Sunday morning.
One of the projects in the order was something new. I don’t normally take requests for models being resized, but in this case, for some reason I did. I received a request from a modeller looking to have my HO Scale Fairmont M1 re-sized to S Scale. I’m not sure why I agreed, other than knowing that it wasn’t going to be that much work compared to some requests. There was definitely some re-design and thought needed to change what was a 1 piece print in HO scale into 2 for S, and maybe its a simple as I have a friend who models in S so I know it will have a home to go to when I’m finished painting it. It also gave me the opportunity to try a lot of things, and making a model bigger certainly exposes every little sloppy design error that smaller scales can hide!!
Fairmont M1 Speeder in S Scale being painted, and in yellow. The model was modified so I can insert actual wood bars for the lift rods, which can be re-positioned as desired, rather than being part of the print in HO Scale.
Overall, aside from the fact that despite my best efforts to have the wheels and axles turn, it appears that the clearance was just too tight, and the support material hardened the axles to the frame, I am very happy with the print. As you can see from the pictures, it’s now bright yellow waiting on me hand painting the details and weathering. I didn’t try to get a perfect yellow coat. Its thick and thin in places, as these cars had rough workaday lives, and having an uneven paint surface will help with weathering and making it look used.
I’ll post again with pictures of it fully painted, and hopefully looking natural on an S scale layout in the next couple of weeks when I get the chance for a get together with an S scale modeller.