Turns out Sunday is a layout day too

You might think that after a big progress day yesterday, Sunday would be a day of rest, and it kinda was. I watched both EPL matches this morning while writing up yesterdays progress, but that meant that by 1:30 I was done watching football, and migrated back upstairs to the layout room.

The first thing I did was finish up the west end of the layouts drops to the DCC bus. When we were working on this, we found a short that took some hunting to track down and resolve. It was some not quite fully clearly gapped copper ties on a switch. It hadn’t shown itself earlier, but as we started connecting track all of a sudden both rails were in continuity with each other, not a great situation to have for a layout!! After some frustrated time yesterday searching out the electrical gremlin, Mark found it, and we had it quickly cleaned up. A little bit of paint on the ties will eventually hide the new bigger gap.

Because I’m completely incorrigible, with the wiring connected and looking OK on the multi-meter for no shorts, I of course proceeded to connect my ESU Lokprogrammer to the end of a track, and run a test train out of CNR staging and onto Mowat Avenue. The video below shows the results, right up to the point where it hit track not yet connected and the keep alive ran out of power! An unqualified success, a train successfully run on my layout!!

First attempt at running a train out of staging and down the line (sorry about the video being fuzzy, I’m not here to win cinematography awards!).

A little bit more running exposed a couple of not unexpected snags, particularly on the switches, but without switch machines installed holding rails in place, I think any time the equipment didn’t catch the switches perfectly clean, they were moving the points. I won’t get too worried about this unless it starts happening when the switches are being held tightly in place.

With that done, I decided to start building switch machines. I am using the Fast Tracks “Bullfrog” switch machines. These are laser cut wood manual throws, a lot of my friends have used them on their layouts, and I love the way they work and the simplicity of them. It takes maybe 10 minutes to assemble them. I have two built new for the layout, and one from a little test track I built a couple of years ago to learn how to build and install a switch machine. After building another fresh one for the layout today, I started messing around with the RC aircraft control rods that are used to link the machine under the benchwork to the fascia for the switch to be operated. This reminds me that I need to get some supplies for the handles on the end, I never did get around to doing that.

IMG_1216A Fast Tracks “Bullfrog” manual switch machine assembled. This one is from a little proof of concept board I made to experiment with learning to install these. The throw wire is now too short for the layout, but I’ve got more of those I can replace it with.

After one Bullfrog, I decided that my goal for the day was to finish the last two sidings on the peninsula. One was easy, a piece of flex with a gentle curve, the other was a bit more complicated. A curved track into a switch to two sidings flanking the freight shed I’ve been building. Once all the track was adjusted, curved and trimmed, I marked out the sides, moved it, and placed down a layer of the clear Alex Caulk. The track was then worked into position, and weighted/pinned down as appropriate. It will sit till Monday night now to have the pins and weights moved while the caulk cures.

Laying the final track on the Peninsula, from L-R marked out and holes for switch machine/frog wire drilled; caulk down; first siding down and caulk spread; and, final view with track down and weighted/tacked down.

With the track on the peninsula down and now drying, I went to the final gap in the layout, a less than 1.5″ piece on Liberty Street between where I’d been working east and west across the layout. I’m not going to install this tonight, I’ll do that Monday or Tuesday night, it will give me something to look forward to at work as the week starts. I’ve got the final piece of track to be laid on my layout cut to sized, filed down, and joiners added ready to go whenever I decide the time is right.

IMG_1215Less than 1.5 inches to go to the trackwork being laid for the entire length of the railroad. So of course, instead of doing it, I’m blogging about how that’s all that’s left to do!

In well less than two years since we took possession of our Townhouse in June 2018, I have gone from a bare room, to a nearly functional layout. This is a huge thing for me, I’ve wanted to build a layout for a long time, but never had the space. Since we moved in, I’ve turned that dream into a reality, and in the process, I’ve learned a lot from friends, and from trial and error. With a bit more wiring, I’ll be in a position to start testing trains to see if the track works and start looking for snags.

With that, a productive Sunday in the layout room is over. Time to go help get some dishes done in the kitchen so we can make a late Sunday dinner of home made Bacon and Gruyere Quiche and watch the new episode of Doctor Who in a couple of hours.

One thought on “Turns out Sunday is a layout day too

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s