Fascia for a Finished Look

With the the track laid, it means I can make some progress on other areas, the first up is the fascia of the benchwork. I had left it unfinished as I worked as it wasn’t an area that was impacting on getting track laid and the layout built. I’m now at a point where I can start looking at next steps beyond wiring and testing the track. Before I install the switch machines to control the switches, I needed to get the fascia done, as it needs to be ready for drilling the holes for the control rod pulls.

IMG_1277Taking my model railroading back to the kitchen table, just like where I started with my grandparents running trains on their kitchen table!

For my Fascia, I am using the same material I used for my backdrop, styrene sheet. This time however I am using black 0.060″ (1.5mm) styrene. I made a trip mid week to Plastic World in North York, where I bought the large sheets for the backdrop, and picked up a sheet of black. I am using styrene for a couple of reasons, I know how to work with it, its easy to use, and I can paint it. I suspect I will certainly want to paint the fascia closer to when I am done with the layout. I am already planning on painting along the bottom of the fascia black as I did on the peninsula to help it blend into the room.

With today being a snow day in Toronto, I had everything on hand (or so I thought) to get the fascia installed. I started the day on the kitchen table, cutting 4′ long slices off the 4’x8′ sheet of styrene. Its the only place in the house with enough room to manoeuvre around a sheet that size now that the peninsula is in place.

Test fitting and cutting the fascia for the CNR staging traverser.

Once I had my strips cut, I started with the CNR staging, the two staging areas are the most complicated bit of the fascia, as they need cutting and fitting around for the sliding traversers. After a series of back and forth checking measurements, I got it up. I then proceeded to start working along the layout from there. The styrene is flexible so it rounds off some of the harsher corners of the benchwork to have a cleaner, more finished look. At this point, I realized that the tube of No More Nails adhesive I had was almost out, and that I had forgotten to buy another tube of glue, so my progress on that project came to an unexpected halt. Running out of supplies is a risk. I tend to buy things as I run out, and it had actually been on my shopping list, and I just completely forgot to buy another tube.

IMG_1281Its not as clean as it looks in the picture, but you can see the difference the black styrene makes in terms of “finishing” the benchwork.

While I’m out of glue to move forward, that hasn’t stopped me from getting the other pieces trimmed and starting to make smaller pieces for any spaces where there is blending at corners or covers. I’ve already made the parts for the latch which holds the peninsula in place, so that it is also covered. Conveniently, the 0.060″ styrene fits around the latch bolt without me needing to remove it or adjust it.

IMG_1282Not glued in, but the cover parts around the peninsula latch are in place and ready to go.

Sometime in the next week or so whenever I have time to swing into the hardware store for another tube of No More Nails, I’ll be able to finish the job. Even just the one corner really helps make it look more finished. The bare appearance of the benchwork had been starting to bother me, as my layout room is also my office and its on the same floor as our bedroom, so anything unfinished I’m constantly staring at, its good motivation to keep on going with little projects like this.

7 thoughts on “Fascia for a Finished Look

  1. Hi Stephen,

    I use black styrene for my fascia as well and found that the black house paint I rolled on did not adhere well. A slight scuff as I walked by and a small area pulled off, from which I was then easily able to further peel away paint.

    Not sure if I should have cleaned the styrene first, ie with a solvent, or scuffed up the surface, and/or primed it, but I now have to redo 12’ of fascia finish. I’m going to be practicing on some scrap material at some point to see what works best with the Behr paint I chose.

    Robin

        • Hi Chris and Robin, thanks for the comments. It will definitely need finishing, the styrene has little scratches and marks from handling. I suspect a gentle sanding pre-painting will make a huge difference on the hold of paint. I have lots of material left so I can try the paints I have and see if different formulations behave differently before I get around to painting the fascia. I’ll also be interested to hear how your experiments go Robin. I know the paint held fine on the white that I used for the backdrop, but it isn’t at risk of as much casual contact as the fascia is.

          Stephen

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s