When Layouts attack and things don’t work

Yesterday I made a comment in a post about sometimes things don’t go your way. Sunday was one of those days. I was watching the closing hours of the Daytona 24 Hours car race, and working in the layout room on sorta odds and ends tasks.

I started my day by putting up my directional signs on the fascia with some tape, just to see how they look. I am really happy with them. The Maker Bean Cafe did a great job, I can’t recommend their work enough based on my experience with them so far. I’ll definitely be looking for other opportunities to work with them.

Street signs taped onto the fascia, I am really happy with how these look.

After this, I was moving around stuff, cleaning up tools and just figuring out what I wanted to work on. I remember catching the corner of the underside of the peninsula, but didn’t think anything of it, I’ve been bumping off the layout for months despite my best efforts to be careful. I carried on for a while, and at some point, I turned my left arm, and went, “oh, I’m bleeding, a lot…”

IMG_1368Owie, this gouge in my left arm is deeper than it looks.

After realizing I’d gouged myself on the corner of the underside of the peninsula, I took the time to clean and disinfect the wound. It seems to be healing OK, but I think I’m going to have a nice scar on my arm for a while. Once I was better, I looked into some furniture padding foam designed to protect infants for the bottom of the peninsula. It’s been ordered, and will be dutifully installed probably next weekend when its arrived.

Once I had cleaned myself up, I decided to start another project. Now that the fascia is on, I can look at things like installing gate hasps for my two switch locks. I’ve decided that for effect I want to mount my CNR and CPR switch locks on the staging traversers, but also have them locked when the layout isn’t in use. It will hopefully create a start and end point for operating sessions, where you have to come in and unlock the switch to release staging, and enter the village, and re-lock it when you’re done your work. Maybe its a bit cheesy, but it makes me happy.

Installing a hasp for one of my switch locks on the CNR Staging Slider… it didn’t go well.

I thought I was being very careful with positioning and pre-drilling holes and everything to get them mounted, and once the screws were in, the hasp wouldn’t close without forcing it, or open without forcing it, and risking a big bump to the slides. I eventually kinda got it working, though not perfectly. I may have to invest in an even longer hasp to move the loop over a bit and let me try mounting the loop again. I won’t be installing the one on the CPR end for a bit until I have made up my mind, but its a little frustraiting. The one nice thing I did discover is the lock hanging on the traverser seems to be working as a bit of a counterweight to keep it from shifting on its own. I can already see that a positive locking/alignment system will probably be needed long term, I’m just not sure what that will be as yet.

IMG_1367Lining out where the roads will be, to help with adjusting the building siting before I start foundations and scenery, and to help work on operations planning to see if things work in 3D instead of as a plan.

I wrapped up Sunday by getting out a sharpie and rulers, and marking where all the asphalt paved roads are. This will be a great help in starting to guide scenery in the near future, but in the short term, once the wiring is done, to let me operate trains to test out track and understand where things are and aren’t working and where adjustments to the track may be needed before painting and ballasting the track.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s