100 Years young tomorrow. The Toronto Transit Commission (originally Toronto Transportation Commission) took over the operation of private streetcar lines and the Toronto Civic Railway on September 1, 1921, creating a city wide agency that continues to operate Toronto’s local transit today.
Seen here at the Halton County Radial Railway, the museum to Ontario’s Electric Railways and Transit is large Peter Witt 2424, part of the first order of new cars for the TTC in 1921. The other is 2894, another Peter Witt ordered in 2923. The cars are pictured at Rockwood Station on December 12, 2009 during a Christmas Under the Lights event.