February has been a bit of a blah month. I haven’t had a lot of motivation. I’ve been working on things as evidenced by finishing my POP Selfie, but I don’t feel like, and in fact I know I haven’t made much progress on the layout, and that’s OK. 12 months ago I was just starting to think about scenery having just gotten my DCC system up and running and finding the worst of the electrical gremlins that were shorting it out when I first powered it up.
February 2021 Things, two decaled and dullcoated CN AAR 10′-6″ with NSC3 End boxcars ready for weathering, using one of them as a guide for two CPR versions of the cars, and an octagonal chimney arrived via Ebay for Canadian General Electric.
“Finishing” the first two of many box car kit projects I have on the go felt really good earlier this month. I use quotations, as they need to be weathered, not heavily, but to look used. Both cars are 3-4 years old, and I model an era before rampant grafitti and rustbucket cars. They don’t need to be beaten to death, just used looking, some dirt and grime. I am also using them as guides for a pair of CPR box cars brake and underbody detail. This isn’t my favourite part of freight cars, and if I’m honest, close enough is good enough. My layout is close to eye level, so you do see the underbody a bit more, but its still largely hidden. I also, received something I’ve been trying to buy for at least two years, a Cibolo Crossing cast hydrocal octagonal chimney. The Canadian General Electric factory has a distinctive octagonal chimney, and building one from scratch was daunting me, but I knew there was this one out there from a now defunct company, I just had to be patient, and then win an auction. In the end, I got it, for a price I was happy to pay, and which was less than the cost of shipping to Canada! I now have all four large chimneys, and each is a different shape/height, look, as they should be as I move my buildings forward.
Gremlin hunting of a different kind. I discovered that one of my hydro poles was too close to the spur across Liberty Street. Easily moved and the scenery in progress touched up to hide the old hole.
As I’ve been puttering around, I also discovered I managed to mount a hydro pole in a position where it cleared the mainline, but not the siding. This would mean all my equipment would be rubbing up against it, not a great situation. Fortunately, one that was easily remedied by drilling a new hole about an inch to the left, and moving the pole. It took half an hour to do including re-scenerying the area I’d messed up. It felt good to find and fix a problem.
I am still making good progress on the layout, and I’m very happy with how it looks, when I wasn’t in the mood on the weekend, and when I’m mopey of late, I just put on the layout lights and turn off the other lights and look at how things are looking. It makes me happy.