Welcome, this page is an introduction to the layout I started to design in 2017, and
am planning on starting construction on have started building in 2018. This page provides a bit of a high-level introduction, and collects links to each of the Blog Posts I have made related to the layout. In the future it will hopefully evolve into an introduction to the layout once construction has progressed and the layout becomes an operational model railroad, rather than a work in progress!
Layout Track Plan version 1.5 as of November 9, 2017 – For the old apartment and full of compromises, now binned!
The layout will be located in our “spare bedroom/office” in our 750 sq.ft apartment in Toronto Ontario. This room currently functions as a spare bedroom, my home office/workspace, and somewhere that I display completed models (among other collections like Lego and Transformers toys!). The layout in the track plan above will be built across the longest wall in the room, taking into account the fact the almost 50 year old concrete walls don’t like having holes drilled to mount things, it will be free standing. To acknowledge the possibility that we will move, it is being designed in modules, but which will at least initially be ignored for scenery, but present to provide “cut” lines to split the layout if we move. We’ve been in our apartment since 2011, we could be in it for another 7 years, or we could decide to move tomorrow. As such, both constraints dictate a design which can be disassembled and moved to a new home, rather than being torn down and the work lost.
While I’m not particularly a fan of his music, a Nobel lauriet once said…
The line it is drawn, the curse it is cast
The slow one now will later be fast
As the present now will later be past
The order is rapidly fadin’
And the first one now will later be last
For the times they are a-changin’
So, the above paragraph was accurate when I started this adventure, but now that’s all gone. Liberty Village will still be the theme of my layout, but in a new home, our new home, a Townhouse in a condominium development. It means instead of shoehoring the layout into our lives, we can design a room to facilitate the layout. Construction of benchwork started in August 2018, all the posts on the gestation of the railroad are collected below and updated regularly with new entries!
Liberty Village Line trackplan as of August 21, 2018. Now well on its way to becoming a reality!
Benchwork in place as of August 18, 2018 and full steam ahead with construction and fine tuning the track plan!
I hope you find the project interesting and I am very much looking forward to continue to share the project with you as construction commences!!
- Introduction to the Apartment Office/Layout Room
- Introduction to the Prototype: Liberty Village, Toronto
- The Industries of Liberty Village in the 1950’s
- Track Plan Version 1.0
- Track Plan Version 1.5
- Vintage Railway Forms for Operation
- Buildings of Liberty Village 1 – Brunswick Balke Collender (40 Hanna Ave)
- Buildings of Liberty Village 2 – Sunbeam Incandescent Lamp Company of Canada (219 Dufferin St)
- Buildings of Liberty Village 3 – Hinde and Dauche Paper Company (43 Hanna Ave)
- The Fate of Liberty Village Trackplan Version 1.0
- A new Layout Room – Starting to Design for the Liberty Village Line 2.0
- Day Job and Hobby Time Collide: Researching Information on Structures on the City Website
- The Waiting is the Hardest Part
- Liberty Village Line Plan 2.0 Details and Thoughts
- Layout Design Elements – Getting Closer to Building Benchwork
- Designing a Traverser for the Staging Yards
- First Layout Track laid…Sort of!!
- My first Fast Tracks Order
- Foaming the Layout and Testing the Peninsula
- Mocking Up Liberty Village
- Saturday at the Toronto Archives and a walk in Liberty Village
- Layout Room!!
- My First Switch Machine
- I’ve got a hatchback full of lumber….
- Benchwork (or at least most of it) in a Day
- Fascia Makes the Benchwork
- Walking into the Layout Room
- Taking the Track Plan from the Screen to the Benchwork
- I love mail to start the weekend
- Boxing in a Corner to start the backdrop
- Backdrop Part 1
- Backdrop Part 2
- Backdrop Part 3
- Blue Skies in Liberty Village
- A Mini Milestone – The First Train on the Liberty Village Line
- Whoo-Hoo!! A Mistake in Layout Building
- Saturday Nights all right for Layout Progress
- Another Saturday, and some more benchwork progress
- Filling in the Last Gap around the wall
- First Track Laid for Liberty Village
- Brunswick Balke Collender Power House
- Never Stop Learning…But Never Forget Past Learning – The Tale of the Blue Bendy
- A Water Tower for Hinde & Dauch Paper
Locomotives & Rolling Stock
- The start of a small project – a Nuisance load
- Weathering a Flat Car
- One load of Tractors
- A Saturday Afternoon Boxcar Build
- A CPR U3e 0-6-0 Switcher – A Project for Liberty Village
- Something Shiny for Liberty Village
- A Canadian Pacific Railway S-2 for Liberty Village
- Wiping out Safety Stripes
- Taking Project Inspiration from a Friend
- Digital Comand Control for an Atlas S-2
- Alco S-2 DCC Quick Update